Road mishaps and accidents are reported frequently in San Diego, and many of these crashes lead to unfortunate circumstances. If you were injured in an accident, you should know two critical things –
- Your right to seek compensation from the at-fault driver as California is a fault state
- Hiring an auto accident lawyer in San Diego can be tremendously useful
If you have never worked with an accident lawyer in the past, hiring the right one can be confusing. We have enlisted common mistakes you must avoid.
- Hiring the first lawyer you find: Will you hire a family lawyer to deal with a DUI charge? When it comes to legal matters, finding the right expert is pertinent. Don’t hire any random attorney, but look for a personal injury lawyer you can trust. You can always talk to people to find options or check a few websites like Nolo, Avvo, or Google to find local listings.
- Paying an accident lawyer for consultation: Even the best lawyers in California are open to free consultations. You don’t have to pay a lawyer to review your case. If a law firm demands a fee, look for other options. The first meeting is crucial to determine the further course of action, and you need to meet a lawyer in person.
- Paying an hourly rate: All accident lawyers take a contingency fee. The norm remains the same for all injury lawsuits and wrongful death claims. Ensure that the lawyer is not asking for an upfront fee or an hourly rate. If you win, the lawyer will get their part of the compensation, which is a fixed rate that’s discussed in advance.
- Not looking for specific experience: Personal injury lawyers deal with many kinds of cases, including medical malpractice, nursing home abuse, and slip & fall accidents. Only select lawyers know what it takes to file and win an auto accident lawsuit. When you look for lawyers, ensure they have experience in handling such claims.
- Not asking about their trial experience: Lawyers don’t usually have to go to court for car accident claims and lawsuits, as trials are expensive. However, as a client, you must find an accident lawyer who is capable of taking more steps if the claim is denied by the insurance company or when the initial offer is too low.
Call an attorney right away to get a review, and don’t miss the vital information mentioned above.